...

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Keeping it Light

Sometimes, after a long day of being angry at everything, it's nice to kick back with something light. It's easier said than done: I'm rarely a TV watcher, most of my "relax" music is still pretty damn cerebral, and my DVD collection has a not-insignificant chunk of as-yet unwatched foreign classics. Recently, I've been lounging with a copy of Madame Bovary, some light summer reading if ever I've heard it. Yes, the ol' gray Adder is a party animal like that.

But what about t-shirts? Believe it or not (and I'd like to think regular readers would believe it), some of my favorite tees are simple but attractive... amusing and odd in equal measure. So lately I've been totally enamored with Lights On, an orange oddity from Palmercash. The site insists it is a "vintage red," and perhaps it is in a different lighting (I don't wear glasses for nothing), but my monitor is insisting orange. Not that it matters to me either way... it's still on "the list". The bold blank is indeed part of it, but the whole piece is just brilliantly weird. It is apparently a lampshade with legs, or possibly being worn by a very unfortunately proportioned man, shouting a mantra as though he was a superhero or motivational speaker. Some people seem to be totally averse to things they don't "get", but for me, not having a clue as to the why or what of this piece is why I am so drawn to it. I love looking at the simple but distinctive illustration, and muddling through what is going on. It almost feels like it could be iconic, the logo of some long-forgotten brand, and somehow that gives it a charm that no real brand could muster. But what it comes down to is that this is the sort of thing I can turn my brain off to and enjoy. Some people prefer the generic and populist because the familiarity allows them to enjoy without thinking. For me, I'd much rather have something that is so illogical, thinking becomes a waste.

Oh, and if you happen to be a girl, you can pick up the ladies' style right here. I know, it's annoying when websites section off male and female collections like that, so I'm happy to lead the way. You know me, I aim to please my readers.

No comments: