...

Friday, May 15, 2009

Marathon shirts

The sun is just starting to go down in my part of the world. I've got some tunes on, and a nice cold beer by my side. The beginning of the cool evening is streaming in through the window by my computer. Julia Sonmi Heglund has been announced as joining the TeeFury curating team. Life is good, my friends. Life is good. Unless your name is Jublin.

I guess technically Jublin's name isn't Jublin either. And it's not that his life is BAD necessarily. But he -is- training for a marathon, which I don't recommend. Why do you care? Well, for starters, he's a multi-printed shirt designer. Also, he's turning his personal marathon experience into a charity run. To sweeten the pot, he's running a contest for anyone who donates: you could win $100 to Threadless or DBH, or a pack of prints and art from him. Want to sponsor him? Check out the details! All donations will benefit Direct Relief International... Jublin recommends Charity Navigator if you'd like to learn more about this or any charity.

We of the "sitting back with aforementioned cold one" persuasion feel it might be worth suggesting you donate to the "God Bless Jublin's Broken Body" fund as well, by buying some of the man's work. It shouldn't be hard to find an awesome Jublin tee, but if you want something bright and summery, consider Game Over, on presale now at Fuzzy Ink. For me, referential tees have gotten old, which is part of why I appreciate how the familiar characters on this one have gotten old, too. That's what makes this so fresh... while some nostalgia pieces don't go anywhere but tapping a familiar concept, this really goes whole hog into its parody. The idea of the whole cast of Mario still being together in old age is a great one in part because of how classic and enduring the franchise has been, but more so, it's great how much unique humor is in this piece. I love that second player Luigi is relegated to a peaceful wheelchair, unneeded as he usually is. I love how shuffleboarding Mario looks like the craziest old dude in the world in his raccoon suit. I cannot get enough of the piranha plant hijinks in the background. There's so much extra character infused in the familiar faces that it makes the piece something special, instead of a generic tribute. Get yours now, and be the hippest gamer on your block this summer!

I'll be putting down my $5-er this weekend (it only takes $5 for an entry... $15+ will get you two). If you want to wait, but think you might forget, there will be a banner link up this weekend as well. It's a great way to help out a worthy cause and have a chance for some sweet prizes, as well.

1 comment:

Jaden Kale said...

I donated as well. I think it's a great idea for him to beg people to repair his poor body when all is said and done... oh, and help raise money :)