...

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tee-cember: A Minor New-Year Miracle

Two deal-a-days. Two budget tees. Two completely buyable designs. In all honesty, the idea that I could love a teefury AND a shirt.woot on the same day is a fully new and baffling feeling, but one I quite enjoy. My only regret is not being able to buy them.

Above is the TeeFury offering, an anti-humor piece called Life Is Complicated (by Lehel Kovacs). I quite enjoy it, with that bland sigh coming out of the horn's bell. It could be the frustration of playing a new instrument (as Lehel suggests it may), or it could be a joke that such a normally bold and blaring instrument would put out but a sigh, or it could be a French Horn's lament, knowing that to most, it is a frivolous piece of brass. Whatever the case, it's an outside-the-box piece, which is enough to make me love it, even the positioning... what others see as too high, I see as ideal, having the horn positioned about where a real one would need to be to play it.

As for shirt.woot, as the year dies, so does their shirt offering. Dale Edwin Murray is the person responsible here, with a piece called Death Stare. There sure is a lot of staring going on, too. It's a little unsettling, but I love the eyes, simple as they are. I also love the drippy comma-ghosts, each one bringing something a bit different to the party, and I appreciate the blue background, not only for its welcome splash of color, but because it creates a contrast, not only between the shirt and itself, but acting as a canvas for the darker elements of the design, helping them show up against the asphalt, which would otherwise likely swallow them up. In general, this is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of at woot... think creative, attractive, and wearable. Instead of a cute twee shirt, why not have something which is both adorable and a little morbid. Morbidorable. All I can hope for is that I'll be able to snag one in randoms.

As always, remember: TeeFury shirts WILL NOT EXIST tomorrow, unless they get optioned elsewhere at a later date. Thusfar that's been the vast exception to the rule, so if you want this at all, your only guaranteed chance (and your cheapest chance, at that) will be to snatch it up in the next 21 hours. As for woots, you'll probably have a two-week window after today to buy it at $15, but as with all dailies, and indeed almost all woot shirts worth wearing, I cannot presume this particular one will last any longer than that. As always, the early bird catches the worm, so grab it now to make sure you don't lose out.

No comments: